back to top
- Understand the sensitivity of climate models to changes in forcing, most importantly the location and magnitude of freshwater fluxes to the ocean.
- Document the deglaciation history of the Eurasian ice sheet.
- Document the changing environmental conditions of the northern hemisphere extratropics through deglaciation, based on marine data from the Arctic and North Atlantic oceans and comparison with terrestrial data from North America, Europe and Russia.
- Determine what conditions triggered abrupt changes in the thermohaline circulation under glacial and interglacial conditions.
- Assess the possibility for abrupt changes in the thermohaline circulation in the 21st century, using selected greenhouse-gas scenarios based on the IPCC Special Report on Emissions Scenarios (SRES) and the WRE stabilisation scenarios.